   RE:Re: [SML] All I know is what I read in the papers. -- Will Rogers

  • From: Vane Lashua <vlashua@RSGsystems.com>
  • To: 'Leigh Dodds' <ldodds@ingenta.com>, Oren Ben-Kiki <oren@capella.co.il>, xml-dev <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 17:28:03 -0500

SML has been around for about 30 years. Actually I heard it was conceived at
the NSA in the earliest second-generation processing of inbound and domestic
telephone traffic in the US. The NSA created a voice-print XML dtd and an
OODBMS, but found the processing was too intense. A young analyst, Yuri
Rubinsky [working on a Canadian green card], proposed SML to remedy that.
The database stored native SML structures and binary objects encrypted and
compressed with the V2 modification of Enigma. I heard it was developed in
an early version of Java by Charles Goldfarb based on Donald Knuth's work on
stochastic TEX written in Web (where do you think he got his ideas?).
Personally I have never actually used or seen SML myself, I'm sure the
standard exists somewhere though I may be thinking of ALGOL. [Former NSA or
xml.com employees, help me out here...]