   Re: SAX/C++ vs. SAX2

  • From: Michael Fuller <msf@mds.rmit.edu.au>
  • To: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 14:47:19 +1100

[Re: whether to work on SAX2 or on SAX/C++]

#1 clearly is important; if only to ensure that SAX remains a
desirable and viable interface. If application developers or
parser writers are start to walk away from SAX due to a lack
of namespace support, then SAX will rapidly die.

#3 is vital for many XML *processing* applications.

If you want to provide a SAX interface to an XML database server
that must be able to round-trip documents, SAX 1.0 isn't enough.
If you're writing an editor, or an XSLT engine, or a compound
document manager, or a transport protocol like WBXML, you want
or need to know about things that are in the SAX2 LexicalHandler
(e.g. CDATA sections, comments), NamespaceHandler, and DeclHandler.

For other applications, #3 isn't relevant. But that's the value of #2:
parser writers can implement the features and support the properties
they wish to, and application writers can selectively invoke that
functionality.

As it happens, I'm in the process of implementing a SAX interface for
a couple of SIM-related projects. We need, I think, the functionality
that SAX2 provides. Given that our code base is in C++, I guess my
vote is for both: a stable SAX2 and a standard C++ definition.

But having taken a look at SAX2, not much seems to be wrong with it.
Whereas there's already close to a dozen SAX/C++ variants, and climbing.
*That* trend needs to be stepped on, and quickly, before it gets out of hand.

Michael