   Re: need clarifications on XPath vs pattern match

  • From: Michael Fuller <msf@mds.rmit.edu.au>
  • To: Didier PH Martin <martind@netfolder.com>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 12:03:29 +1100

I wrote [re. def. of XSLT "patterns"]:
>> Not quite. See XSLT, section 5.2:
[...]

Didier asked:
> so, basically a pattern match could be a collection of XPath location path
> Can we say that?

:-) I guess so, as long as you're clear that's only an approximate definition.

>> "Node-sets" are defined in XPath, section 3.3:
>>     "A location path can be used as an expression. The expression returns
>>     the set of nodes selected by the path."

> I expected a better definition. don't you?

Ok; the introduction to XPath also states:
    "The primary syntactic construct in XPath is the expression. An
    expression matches the production Expr. An expression is evaluated to
    yield an object, which has one of the following four basic types:

	 * node-set (an unordered collection of nodes without duplicates)
	 [...other basic types...]

That enough?

Michael