   Beta schematron validadator of XML Schema schemas available {was Re: XML

  • From: "Rick Jelliffe" <ricko@allette.com.au>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 00:48:05 +0800

 From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>

>On behalf of the XML Schema Working Group we are pleased to announce
>the release of new Public Working Drafts for XML Schema: Structures [1]
>and XML Schema: Datatypes [2].

I have made a Schematron that validates XML Schemas.  The beta is
available under
    http://www.ascc.net/xml/resource/schematron/schematron.html

Note that this just validates XML Schemas, it does not use XML schemas
to validate other documents.

The XML Schemas language has a lot of structural
constraints that a grammar-based system cannot check: for example
there are many instances where the value of an attribute restricts
the content model, or to check that the top-level element of
an included schema (i.e., an external file) has the correct
element type. (The fact that Schematron can handle these
better than XML Schemas is no big deal: it does show that XML
Schemas is targeted at databases and Java data rather than
being particularly optimised for validating W3C specifications. )

To use it, you will need James Clark's XT and a Schematron
implementation: I suggest schematron-report from the same
site, which gives a nice display of messages linked to the
context element where the error is in effect.

A few provisos: namespaces not supported and some sub-subtyping
errors will not be caught.

Rick Jelliffe