   SAX2: Features and Properties

  • From: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
  • To: XMLDev list <xml-dev-digest@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 10:37:34 -0500 (EST)

Here is my current draft of core SAX2 features and properties.

Notes:

1. Implementors are free to define their own features and properties;
   these are meant to serve only as a common core.
2. Parser can throw exceptions for unrecognized properties or
   unsupported states; the only features that must be supported are
   'true' for namespace processing and 'false' for namespace prefixes.

Features
--------

I've removed http://xml.org/sax/features/normalize-text, because its
interaction with optional hander types is too tricky.  I've aded
http://xml.org/sax/features/namespace-prefixes to preserve the
original prefixes on the local parts of names if desired.

http://xml.org/sax/features/validation
  Default value: unknown
  true: validate the document
  false: do not validate the document

http://xml.org/sax/features/external-general-entities
  true: include external text entities
  false: do not include external text entities

http://xml.org/sax/features/external-parameter-entities
  true: include external parameter entities
  false: do not include external parameter entities

http://xml.org/sax/features/namespaces
  Default value: true (*must* be supported)
  true: perform Namespace processing
  false: do not perform Namespace processing

http://xml.org/sax/features/namespace-prefixes
  Default value: false (*must* be supported)
  true: leave prefixes attached to the local parts of names
  false: do not leave prefixes attached to the local parts of names
  Note: will have no effect unless the 'namespaces' feature is true.

http://xml.org/sax/features/use-locator
  true: always provide a Locator
  false: it's OK not to provide a Locator (but the parser still may)

Properties
----------

I've removed http://xml.org/sax/properties/namespace-sep, since
Namespace-qualified names are no longer reported as a single string.
I've removed the properties for LexicalHandler, DeclHandler, and
NamespaceDeclHandler because they have their own, explicit setters
now.

http://xml.org/sax/properties/dom-node
  Read-only.  Valid only during a callback (null otherwise).
  The DOM node currently being visited if SAX is being used as a DOM
  iterator and is visiting a DOM node.

http://xml.org/sax/properties/xml-string
  Read-only.  Valid only during a callback (null otherwise).
  The string of characters associated with the current event.

All the best,

David

           http://www.megginson.com/