   Re: SAX2: Namespace Processing and NSUtils helper class

  • From: David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net>
  • To: james anderson <James.Anderson@mecomnet.de>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 10:32:01 -0800

james anderson wrote:

> i had understood
>   {"","a",""},
> from the example, to denote a name in a namespace for which there would have
> been a declaration, namely a binding such as
>
>   <... xmlns="" ... >
>
> for the ignominious "null" namespace. how does this come to correspond to
>
>   { undeclared, "a", valid-prefix } ?

It doesn't.  Namespace URIs clearly have three kinds of values, not that
it's specified in the namespace spec very clearly (and I suspect DOM L2
may need tweaking to get this right):

	- Undeclared (null?)
	- Declared as no-value (empty string, "")
	- Some URI (the case folk focus on).

The distinction between "undefined" and "empty" will be familiar to folk
in the database world (maybe with different terms).  SAX2 will have to be
clear on how it exposes this.

One more edge case for applications to trip over!

- Dave