   Re: SAX2: Namespace Processing and NSUtils helper class

  • From: james anderson <James.Anderson@mecomnet.de>
  • To: XMLDev list <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 20:24:44 +0100

hmm..., the thread is becoming rather tenuous, but, if you concur, that
{"","a",""}, which is descibes <... xmlns="" ... > is not the same as {
undeclared, "a", valid-prefix }, then how does the notion of nonconformance
enter into the question re

?

David Brownell wrote:

> james anderson wrote:
> >
> > i had understood
> >   {"","a",""},
> > from the example, to denote a name in a namespace for which there would have
> > been a declaration, namely a binding such as
> >
> >   <... xmlns="" ... >
> >
> > for the ignominious "null" namespace. how does this come to correspond to
> >
> >   { undeclared, "a", valid-prefix } ?
>
> It doesn't.  Namespace URIs clearly have three kinds of values, not that
> it's specified in the namespace spec very clearly (and I suspect DOM L2
> may need tweaking to get this right):
>
>         - Undeclared (null?)
>         - Declared as no-value (empty string, "")
>         - Some URI (the case folk focus on).

don't they have four?
          - Undeclared (not "null"; that term already has a different meaning
in the REC)
          - Declared as "no namespace":      xmlns=""
          - Declares as the empty string:    xmlns:html=""