   Re: Namespace prefixes optional?

  • From: james anderson <James.Anderson@mecomnet.de>
  • To: xml-dev <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2000 11:46:00 +0100

David Megginson wrote:

> Here are the tricky points about Namespaces:
>
> 1. Namespace URIs are just unique identifiers, like Java or Perl
>    package names; they don't (necessarily) point to anything.
>
> 2. There can be a default Namespace for element names but not for
>    attribute names.
>
> 3. Not withstanding #2, some apps may treat unprefixed attribute names
>    as if they belong to the same Namespace as the corresponding
>    element name.
>
> Anything I'm missing?  If you want to run through a quick Q-and-A to
> make sure you've got it, take a look at the following:

I've yet to find convincing answers to the following questions:

a. How does one do attribute defaulting in situations where the namespaces
matter. That is, in situations where one can't just treat the document as if
it were "xml-1.0-plain".

b. How can one uphold the constraint, that the set of valid
"xml-1.0+namespaces" documents is identical with the set of valid
"xml-1.0-plain" documents. Mr Waldin's question is one case in point.

c. How does one specify an identity between a "name which is in no namespace"
and a "name in a namespace as declared in a schema". Perhaps I'm just
narrow-minded, but I sense a potential contradiction in this notion.

These for starters. They follow from the root problem, that the REC did ratify
a complete model for the domain which it describes. It was most disappointing
to observe the extent to which the appendix was disavowed. Were one to have
taken something of that sort seriously, such issues may have come to light,
rather than being "left to the application".