   Re: Unicode confusion

  • From: roddey@us.ibm.com
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 12:48:44 -0700

>> > If anything, it should go the other way. Unicode should be the core
>> > API, and there should be helper API to allow the use of local code
>> > page chars where necessary. Everything should be set up to optimize
>> > use of the Unicode API, with local code page use paying the price,
>> > since Unicode is the more desireable format.
>
>I took that as referring to 16-bit character codes vs variable width
>or 32-bit ones.  And when I take it that way, I agree!  (However, the
>notion of a "Unicode API" struck me as strange; the spec has no API.)

I was just refering to the local wide character API, which I misadvisedly
called the Unicode API. I just meant that whatever we do it must be
optimized so that the local wide character APIs of the system (which
hopefully are Unicode, else we are in real trouble), are maximally
interoperable with data going into and coming out of the SAX API.

Dean Roddey
Software Weenie
IBM Center for Java Technology - Silicon Valley
roddey@us.ibm.com