   XMLReader extends Parser???

  • From: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
  • To: xml-dev-digest@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 14:52:04 -0500 (EST)

James Layer writes:

 > If I understand the new (proposed) interface properly, our current
 > getXXXParser methods can simply return XMLReader (after the SAX2 stuff is
 > plopped in) which still downcasts elegantly to those apps that still expect
 > Parser.  These apps can then be upgraded in a more leisurely fashion (during
 > the next update or bug fix cycle) while new apps can immediately begin using
 > the proper (XMLReader) interface.

Well, Miles got me thinking, and that's actually not quite the case --
XMLReader will be reporting its events through ContentHandler instead
of DocumentHandler, so casting down doesn't seem that useful after all
(unless your apps are interested only in DTDHandler and ErrorHandler
events); I guess that we do need an adapter instead.

All the best,

David

           http://www.megginson.com/