   RE: [RE: SAX2/Java: Towards a final form]

  • From: Miles Sabin <msabin@cromwellmedia.co.uk>
  • To: xml-dev-digest@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 19:55:13 -0000

James Layer wrote,
> While I share Miles' sentiments regarding legacy baggage, I
> believe David's deprecation approach would promote a more
> rapid (and smoother) adoption of the new interface (at least
> at the company where I work).
>
> We have abstracted the 'get a parser' process so our app
> developers request a parser based (primarily) on
> functionality rather than demanding a specific
> implementation;

I don't think dropping 'extends Parser' should impact on this
in any really significant way. Intially I would expect almost
all parsers to implement both XMLReader _and_ Parser for SAX1
compatibility, so you'd have a fair breathing space during
which casting from the former to the latter would be safe.

Actually, one of my worries is that having XMLReader extend
a deprecated interface will cause javac/jikes/javadoc to spit
out warnings or errors ... not a big deal, perhaps, but a bit
of a pain (I'm one of those people who habitually set the
'treat warnings as errors' flag on all my tools ;-).

Cheers,

Miles

--
Miles Sabin                       Cromwell Media
Internet Systems Architect        5/6 Glenthorne Mews