   RE: Alternatives to the W3C

  • From: Miles Sabin <msabin@cromwellmedia.co.uk>
  • To: "'XML Dev'" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 12:39:02 -0000

Steven Livingstone wrote,
> Are you suggesting having 20 different types of browser woudl
> be a good thing? I wouldn't want a single super-car (well, I
> can't drive so most people wouldn't want me in it anyway),
> but I wouldn't mind a single browser made up of everyones
> opinions and controlled by a consortium.

Can't, won't and shouldn't happen. It's simply not possible to
design a single browser that'd be suitable for all of
desktop PC, handhelds, mobile phones, digital TVs, non-visual
devices (speech input, aural output) ... etc. etc.

Nor, for that matter, is it likely to be easy to design
content which would be suitable for all those media.

Cheers,

Miles

--
Miles Sabin                       Cromwell Media
Internet Systems Architect        5/6 Glenthorne Mews

unsubscribe xml-dev  (or)