   RE: Alternatives to the W3C

  • From: "Brandt Dainow" <bd@internet-etc.com>
  • To: "'XML Dev'" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 15:19:30 -0000

I hate to be a bore about all this, but I think we should all remember that
most of the human race do NOT have access to high-tech PC's.  There is a
massive movement of 386 & 486 machines from the US and Europe into places
like Africa.  Timbuktu, for example, has precisely 2 PC's, both 486's.  The
doctors there use them to access medical information over the web which they
couldn't afford to buy via medical journals.  They claim this has saved
hundreds of lives in the last year alone.  Now maybe I'm an idealist, but I
happen to think getting IT into the third world is a little more important
than allowing some company to make an extra 2% profit.

My message to developers is thus:- don't raise the tech barrier, lower it.
Don't wish for better technology, work out how to do more with less.

Brandt Dainow
bd@internet-etc.com
Internet Etc Ltd
http://www.internet-etc.com

mailto:xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
> Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ or CD-ROM/ISBN
> 981-02-3594-1
> Please note: New list subscriptions now closed in preparation for transfer
> to OASIS.

Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ or CD-ROM/ISBN
981-02-3594-1
Unsubscribe by posting to majordom@ic.ac.uk the message