   Re: Extensible browsers

  • From: Len Bullard <cbullard@hiwaay.net>
  • To: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 12:41:59 -0600

Simon St.Laurent wrote:

> Any takers?

Note Simon, that what appears to be a browser war discussion
is underneath a discussion of issues that are serious to the
content developers, (skipping the openSourceIsHoly, anyoneButMS
topics):

1.  Features
2.  Reliability
3.  Universal vs targeted access

The point is that the technology deployed must satisfy
the contractual requirements within the costs.  Right now,
and maybe only for awhile, the surest way to do that is to
restrict the codebase to provably reliable code.  If I
want RealMedia rm, I use RealPlayer7.  If I want MP3, I
have a choice given the vendors paid for the patent license.

HTML is drop dead easy and so far, we still have a lot
of reliability problems.  The emerging web applications
for entertainment content have much more severe problems
and we cannot rely on the HTML monolith to support them.
So while I think you are in the right area talking about
extensible browsers, it may be better to reconsider what
the design of the webbrowser is in general terms as
services, then to consider if you need the web browser
cum HTML display engine as the container or just another
content service type.

len

unsubscribe xml-dev  (or)