   RE: Alternatives to the W3C

  • From: "Steven Livingstone, ITS, SENM" <steven.livingstone@scotent.co.uk>
  • To: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>, "'XML Dev'" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 10:44:02 -0000

	>Is that really what they want? Somehow I doubt it.
	They have told us !

	>Somehow I doubt it. I have this funny
	>feeling that what they want to do is browse a database, or have
	>customers place orders, or play games, or something else that's an
	>end in itself.
	Yep, but they want a client/server environment and not constant
clicking - I wish they would play games, at least it'd take my headache
away. It's a kind of heldesk environment, so they need instant access to
loads of different types of data, but to be able to view related data at the
same time - hence an incremently marked up (kind of dynamic client cache)
XML doc on the client.

	>If this is an Intranet, you might be able to pull off what you
	>suggest. If it's the public Web, then it's hopeless. Tell your
client
	>that they will piss off and lose customers if they do this UNLESS
	>they provide a seamless alternative to the underlying
functionality.

Fortunately is is an Extranet environment, so we good control over our
browsers.
We are planning to develop a cut down version for non-xml browsers.

Cheers,
Steven

Steven Livingstone
Glasgow, Scotland.
07771 957 280 or +447771957280

Pro XML
http://www.wrox.com/Consumer/Store/Details.asp?ISBN=1861003110
Professional Site Server 3, Wrox Press
http://www.wrox.com/Consumer/Store/Details.asp?ISBN=1861002696
Professional Site Server 3.0 Commerce Edition, Wrox Press
http://www.wrox.com/Consumer/Store/Details.asp?ISBN=1861002505