   RE: Problem with substituting XSL @ variable into a hyper link

  • From: Aleksi Niemelä <aleksi.niemela@cinnober.com>
  • To: XML-L@listserv.heanet.ie, xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 20:05:33 +0100

<template match = "someElement">
</template>

I think this shouldn't work, since it doesn't look like XML:
- plain <a>-element (without closing tag or />-ending)
- attributes must to have ' or "
- can't nest multiple elements inside element declaration

Then returning original question, few comments:

>	<xsl:template match="Add">
>
>	</xsl:template>

Should work! I think this is exactly what our XSLT eats. But it didn't eat
it one month ago. The name of the software we are using is beyond me, but I
have a hunch it could be part of the IBM's product family.

Anyway, there are ways to go around (first is much better IMHO):

<xsl:template match="Add">
    <a>
        <xsl:attribute name="href">
            <xsl:value-of select="@id"/>
        </xsl:attribute>
    </a> Tag 1
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="Add">
    <![CDATA[<a href="#]]><xsl:value-of select="@id"/><![CDATA[/>]]> Tag 1
</xsl:template>

One last note: if you're really talking about some @-variables, I don't know
anything at all about them. But if you meant attribute id as in your example
XML, then these should work.

Be very careful of right terms - variables *have* specific meaning in
context of XSL specification.

    - Aleksi