   Re: Attribute normalisation and character entities

  • From: Arjun Ray <aray@q2.net>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 00:28:05 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, I wrote:
> On 24 Jan 2000, Richard Tobin wrote:
>
> > Section 3.3.3 [...]
> > However the Oasis test suite [...]
> >
> > Which is correct?
>
> If the intent is to do it the SGML way, then 3.3.3 is correct. [...]
>
> The SGML gotcha here has to do with the 'SEPCHAR' category.

s/SEPCHAR/SPACE/g

Sorry about that.

Perhaps it's worth pointing out that a numeric character reference is
the only way to have the literal character in a normalized attribute
value, since internal CDATA entities are not allowed.  So, under the
Oasis interpretation, one could never have end-of-lines in CDATA
attribute values.  I'm not sure that's reasonable.

OTOH, if these literals do sneak through the whitespace rules, what
about the further tokenization for non-CDATA attributes?  The SGML
rules scream "Error!!", but I'm not sure that's reasonable either.

Arjun

unsubscribe xml-dev  (or)