   Re: XMLNews newbie...

  • From: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: 25 Jan 2000 22:11:43 -0500

Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com> writes:

> I am searching which XML format to use for writing news articles on a
> web site.
>
> XMLNews looks great, but I haven't found any recent information about
> it's endorsement by new projects.

Here's the situation in a nutshell:

XMLNews-Story is a subset of NITF (News Industry Text Format), which
now has its own .org:

  http://www.nitf.org/

XMLNews-Story is actually based on a slightly earlier draft than the
one at that site, but they still seem to be compatible.

NITF itself, however, is in a bit of a confusing position -- after
tinkering with NITF (which used to be called UTF) for several years,
the NAA (Newspaper Association of America) and the IPTC (International
Press Telecommunications Council) have started work on something
completely new called NewsML.

So, is NITF out the window before it really got started?  It depends
on who you talk to.  Some people claim that NITF and NewsML will be
complementary -- that is, that NewsML will be more like XMLNews-Meta,
and that NITF will continue to the be standard for news copy; others
claim that NITF is essentially deprecated now, and the NewsML will
replace it completely.

XMLNews is supported by WAVO and iSyndicate, the two major North
American news amalgamators -- they're the middlemen (and women) who
collect the individual feeds from Reuters, Dow Jones, etc. and sell
them in packages to the major customers.  That means that, in a
sort-of sneaky way, many or most of the major feeds are or soon will
be available in XMLNews and NITF regardless.  Everyone agrees that it
would be better for the XML markup to be added at source, though.

All the best,

David

           http://www.megginson.com/