   RE: SAX2-beta (2000-01-28)

  • From: Miles Sabin <msabin@cromwellmedia.co.uk>
  • To: XMLDev list <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 19:16:07 -0000

Hmm ...

I _really_ don't like the way that the SAX1 and SAX2 stuff is
all mixed up together, particularly since most of SAX1 is
deprecated.

Like it or not SAX2 is a completely new API, so why not leave
SAX1 untouched (ie. no @deprecated's) and have a completely
fresh org.xml.sax2.* tree?

And I still think there needs to be a SAX2 equivalent of
ParserFactory ... bizarrely it's easier to create a SAX1
Parser in an implementation independent way than it is to do
the same for an XMLReader. A couple of people volunteered to
try out the XMLReaderImplementations stuff I put together, and
hopefully they'll be able to give some feedback on it to this
list.

One issue that I hit in putting that together is that there's
currently no way to determine an XMLReaders feature support
until _after_ it's been created. That's a bit awkward, since if
we have multiple implementations available we might want to use
the feature set to decide which one to instantiate ...

Cheers,

Miles

--
Miles Sabin                       Cromwell Media
Internet Systems Architect        5/6 Glenthorne Mews

unsubscribe xml-dev  (or)