   Re: XML-DEV LIST NOW OPERATIONAL

  • From: "Rzepa, Henry" <h.rzepa@ic.ac.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 09:47:55 +0000

>On Wed, 2 Feb 2000, Laura Walker wrote:
> > XML-DEV remains a majordomo list.
>
>Congrats on the move. Can we assume that this means that Henry (or some
>other responsible party) can now begin to filter the 'uns*bscr*be'
>requests so every third post isn't someone else proving they're a moron?

Just to clarify, the xml-dev and xml-dev-digest list of subscribers
as it was at Imperial College this  Monday (31/1/00)  is what
was transferred to  OASIS.   If you ARE on this
list, and do not wish to be, you have to send a request to
majordomo@xml.org to be removed.

I am not yet aware of the policy being operated. There are several
alternatives, and hopefully this will be clarified on this forum within
a few hours (over to you Laura!)

(a) If the list is configured as  OPEN, anyone can submit a request
to majordomo@xml.org, which takes the form

unsubscribe xml-dev

You have to submit the request from precisely
the same address as is subscribed (which caught a lot of people out
before!) An optional form is

which will be passed to a moderator
for their action (and does not take effect  until they perform this action)

(b)  AUTO, which takes the form

This option is unlikely, since you could unsubscribe  ANYONE from the
list without their approval

(c) CLOSED, which takes the mandatory form

unsubscribe xml-dev  or
unsubscribe xml-dev  email@address

This requires  moderation, and may take a little while to action.

A similar set of policies exist for subscription to the list. No doubt OASIS
will clarify this appropriately.

Henry Rzepa. +44 (0)20 7594 5774 (Office) +44 (0)20 7594 5804 (Fax)
Dept. Chemistry, Imperial College, London, SW7  2AY, UK.
http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/rzepa/