   RE: Asynchronous message queue by SMTP&POP3

  • From: "Dick Brooks (E)" <dick@8760.com>
  • To: "K.Kawaguchi" <ml@swiftinc.co.jp>, <xml-dev@xml.org>, "James Robertson" <jamesr@steptwo.com.au>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 07:13:50 -0600

There are numerous issues related to e-mail based transport of business
documents (X12, XML or other):

“SMTP mail messages can travel unpredictably from Internet hosts.”*
“SMTP providers can only guarantee levels of service from end to end when
the Internet Service Provider owns the entire transmission path.”*
“The sender then has no guarantee that expired messages will not be viewed.”
*
Lack of Access Controls allows hackers and spammers access to E-C Servers
Many viruses travel by E-mail
Known file size limitations
Known problems with gateways on signed/encrypted messages
No real-time acknowledgement

*http://www.disa.org/x12/x12c/smtpedi.htm

If you're looking for "business grade" transports look at EDIINT AS2, it's a
HTTP based protocol.
REF: http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ediint-as2-06.txt

Dick Brooks
http://www.8760.com