   XML-DEV on Groves (was RE: The Power of Groves)

  • From: Leigh Dodds <ldodds@ingenta.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 14:50:51 -0000

<snip!>
> Perhaps JamesC's posting (I am offline so cannot pinpoint it) is
> a starting point.
>
> I do, however, recall an analysis by Henry Thompson of the complete grove
> diagram of a very simple XML file with 1-2 elements types and attributes
> and including a DTD and it was surprisingly complex. I don't think it was
> on this list - probably XML-SIG. Groves are not trivial.

I've just tried to collate a few XML-DEV resources relating to
this topic.

March 97. "A Simple API".
http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/xml-dev-Mar-1997/0187.html

http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/xml-dev-Mar-1997/0189.html

The relevant example being:
"SGML Groves: A Partial Illustrated Example"
http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~ht/grove.html

JamesC, posts a 'ReallySimple' API based on groves, which is what
Peter is referring to above.
http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/xml-dev-Mar-1997/0192.html

Other random tidbits from a quick search:

http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail-archive/xml-dev/xml-dev-Jun-1997/0117.ht
ml

http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail-archive/xml-dev/xml-dev-Oct-1998/0084.ht
ml