   RE: XML Schemas: Needs Marketing?

  • From: Matthew Fuchs <matthew.fuchs@commerceone.com>
  • To: "'Bill la Forge'" <b.laforge@jxml.com>, Edd Dumbill <edd@usefulinc.com>, "Roger L. Costello" <costello@mitre.org>, Dave Hollander <dmh@commerce.net>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 11:48:51 -0800

Standardizing such a thing makes me extremely nervous at this point.  The
value of a standard is only that it is standard - xsdl hasn't even been
finalized and we're already talking about bifurcating it.  Not that I'm
surprised - at the very beginning of the schema effort I compared our task
to C++, which ended up with three languages - K&R C (viz. DTDs), C++ (viz.
xsdl) and ANSI C (viz. xsdl--, perhaps DTDs plus datatypes).  But at least
C++ was up and running _before_ the ANSI C effort was underway.

It is certainly possible, within your own schema, to turn off most of the
DTD++ features and end up with the ANSI C analog.  But please do that with
an xsdl parser, rather than trying to immediately standardize some
intermediate language.

And try working with the language as is.  You might be surprised.

Matthew