   Re: XML-DEV JEWELS (was : XML-DEV on Groves)

  • From: Thierry Bezecourt <thbz@worldnet.fr>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: 12 Feb 2000 15:53:14 +0100

Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk> writes:

> At 02:50 PM 2/10/00 +0000, Leigh Dodds wrote:
>
> [a review of groves from past XML-DEV]

>  This has similarities to the XML-JEWELS that I used to run until I ran out
> of steam! In the first instance, is there a way we can use to flag this
> sort of review in the title of the posting? In that way people could (say)
> search XML-DEV for "JEWELS" AND "groves and hit your posting (actually they
> would hit this one in this case:-)

Maybe someone who understand groves could build a tool to look for
grove discussions in the XML-DEV archive :-)

>From what I have learned about groves in this thread (thanks to all
the participants) and in a tutorial written by Paul Prescod, groves
are about hierarchical data structures and addressing nodes in these
structures, so they seem ideal for a mailing list archive.

[Trying to understand how it works] To do that, if I'm correct, we
would have to define a property set for mailing lists, where articles
would be nodes, header fields would be properties of these nodes, the
"References" header field would be used for links to other articles,
and the "contents" would be the body of the article, which could
contain links.  Then the formatting could be done with DSSSL and Jade
to produce an on-line archive.  Is this a correct description of how
groves could be used in the real world ?  It does not seem very
difficult.

--
Thierry Bézecourt