   Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] X2X - XLink Engine

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • To: "Graham Moore" <gdm@stepuk.com>, <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 12:14:06 +0000

At 06:29 AM 2/17/00 +0000, Graham Moore wrote:

>X2X, the XLink Engine, evaluation version available at http://www.stepuk.com
>
>STEP UK launches X2X, "The link management of the future"
>14/02/2000
>
>STEP UK Ltd. announces the launch today of X2X the XML XLink engine. X2X
>allows for the creation, management and manipulation of link information.

It is some time since the list discussed the value of product announcements
on XML-DEV (and in fact such announcements are now very infrequent). On the
one hand XML is clearly linked to commerce and is significantly fueled by
it; on the other, most XML-DEVers would not wish the list flooded with
commercial offerings.

My view - which I think encompasses earlier discussion - is that product
announcements and details are of value on XML-DEV only if:
	- they contribute significantly to the development of XML tools or practice.
	- it is easy to download them without payment and use them for this purpose
	- they have a significant lifetime for this purpose
	- the developers are committed to interoperability
	- enough guidance is given in the initial posting about platform,
language, other requirements, etc.

My feeling is that this announcement did not fill all these criteria - I
went to the WWW site but didn't get useful information about how XLink was
involved. The posting on XML-DEV was to inform the market rather than those
interested in the development of XLINK technology.

Of course I make it clear that I have no comment on the product or company
in any other matter than the posting on XML-DEV.

	Your comments are welcome.

	P.