   Re: (Pre)Announce: Gutenberg at HWG

  • From: Walter Underwood <wunder@infoseek.com>
  • To: "Frank Boumphrey" <bckman@ix.netcom.com>, "Dave Carlson" <dcarlson@ontogenics.com>, <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 16:58:41 -0800

At 11:21 PM 2/11/00 -0500, Frank Boumphrey wrote:

>We have an open mind about eBook. Indeed we have an open mind about all
>DTD's. We have people marking up documents against Docbook, TEI and XHTML.

[...]
>In fact 90% of the books marked up so far have used one of our own DTD's,
>which are designed to be both descriptive and easy to use. We want to
>develop an academically sound version of these DTD's, and this is where we
>hope members of this list will help us!

Making an academically-sound DTD sure sounds like re-inventing
TEI. You've already had to deal with verse, drama, and prose,
except that TEI can mix them in the same document, and the
Gutenberg at HWG DTDs can't (as you've already found out with
Austen's "Love and Friendship" -- "Mansfield Park" also contains
a play).

Since TEI Lite exists and is nicely documented, descriptive, and
easy to use, I really can't see the point in spending time on a
pale imitation instead of marking up more text.

wunder
--
Walter R. Underwood
Senior Staff Engineer