   Premature standardization considered harmful (was RE: [SOAP] Commitees c

  • From: "Box, Don" <dbox@develop.com>
  • To: "'SOAP'" <SOAP@DISCUSS.DEVELOP.COM>, "'xml-dev@xml.org'" <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 16:42:15 -0800

It is interesting to watch the parallel traffic on the SOAP list and on
xml-dev. On both lists, the merits of applying a heavyweight organization to
an ad hoc standardization process is being debated. On the SOAP list, the
debate is whether or not SOAP needs OASIS/EBXML/IETF. On XML-DEV, the debate
is whether SAX needs OASIS/W3C. I think there is a lot of merit to waiting
until things are fully cooked before applying the weight of a formal
standards body to a technology. I believe it was Dave Clark (of TCP/IP fame)
that talked about the 2-humped camel and the dangers of premature
standardization. I would hate to see two technologies I love (SOAP and SAX)
suffer the same fate as OSI or CORBA, both of which suffered from an overly
bloated standardization process.

DB
http://wwww.develop.com/dbox