   RE: A certain difficulty

  • From: "Eve L. Maler" <elm@east.sun.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 09:56:46 -0500

At 11:26 AM 2/23/00 +0000, Mark Birbeck wrote:
>As it happens I think RDF is nowhere near as difficult as people think.
>And it is incredibly significant. I don't think it's an exaggeration to
>say that RDF and RDFS will become *the* most important XML technologies
>as we try to build a web of information - not presentation. In fact if
>you re-read all the hype and 'promises' of XML, you'll find that XML on
>it's own cannot actually implement them - RDF can.

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that "RDF with access to a whole bunch
of standardized, stable semantics can"?  It seems like the world is
spending an *incredible* amount of effort on developing standard
vocabularies, partly because this is the concrete part of the problem that
they can get their head around, and partly because you can get somewhere if
you have the semantics but not the RDF framework, but you can't get
anywhere if you have the RDF but not the semantics.

         Eve
--
Eve Maler            Sun Microsystems
elm @ east.sun.com    +1 781 442 3190