   SAX2: Is XMLReader a bad name?

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 12:29:34 -0800

I'm starting to dig into the SAX2 interface. Very quickly I encountered
a big surprise. The crucial XMLReader interface is not a Reader. To most
Java programmers, class names that end in "Reader" indicate that the
class is a subclass of java.io.Reader. Breaking that convention here
seems unnecessarily confusing to me.

How about calling it something like "XMLParser" or "XMLScanner" that
does not have any preexisting connotations in most programmers' minds?
I'm not perfectly happy with these suggested names, and hope somebody
has a better idea, but I do think that "XMLReader" is a mistake.

|               Java I/O (O'Reilly & Associates, 1999)               |
|            http://metalab.unc.edu/javafaq/books/javaio/            |
|   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=1565924851/cafeaulaitA/   |