   RE: In praise of SVG

  • From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@netfolder.com>
  • To: "Peter Murray-Rust" <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>, <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 01:14:55 -0500

HI Peter,

Peter said:
What is "it"? - your solution or the Adobe plugin? Since I am ignorant of
the mechanism of plugins I am
not sure whether the basic DOM is provided by the browser or the plugin.
(Obviously the SVG-specific DOM
comes from the plugin).

Didier replies:
The Adobe plug-in is a complete component that includes:
a) an XML parser
b) a DOM implementation
c) a very fast SVG interpreter (i.e. a renderer)

The component supports a plug-in interface witch is very easy to integrate
into an apps. As I said, I integrated one in just one hour. Ok maybe add
three more hours for debugging.

Didier said:
>this a free java script implementation, put it in the oven for 5 minutes
and

Peter said:
You mean that there is a portable Javascript interpreter than can be
combined with this? If so, that is good news

Didier replies:
Yes this is exactly what I meant.

Peter said:
Until now I had assumed that plugins were undocumented monsters. This
suggests than one can actually get an API out of a plugin.

Didier replies:
Yes there is an API. It is well documented, several books talk about it, and
you can get it at the Netscape site. The interface is a set of "C"
functions.

Peter said:
So - given that my suggestions is (a) possible and (b) a Good Thing - where
do we go? It would certainly make sense for me to thing about any future
JUMBO based on this (I have already started thinking about using
Stylesheets to drive the screen layout, style, etc.) The possible weakness
of SVG might be text input - or does one use HTML for that?

Didier replies:
right on Peter, the actual weakness of SVG is the lack of forms component
like text input, radio button, buttons, etc... Add forms to SVG and bye bye
HTML :-))

PS: if the need to have an SVG browser is shared with a lot of people I can
make a window version in a very short time frame. The main problem is to
work the document transport over the web unless I use a component for this.
After all using component is the praxis of the re-use philosophy,

Cheers
Didier PH Martin
Email: martind@netfolder.com
Conferences: Web Chicago(http://www.mfweb.com)