   org.xml.sax.ContentHandler conflicts with java.net.ContentHandler

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: xml-dev <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 14:08:01 -0800

I just noticed something by accident:

Weblogs.java:25: reference to ContentHandler is ambiguous, both class
java.net.ContentHandler in java.net and class org.xml.sax.ContentHandler
in org.xml.sax match
class URIGrabber implements ContentHandler {

I do know how to fix this in my own code, but I suspect ContentHandler
is another SAX2 class name that needs to be rethought in light of name
conflicts. java.net.ContentHandler certainly isn't the most used class
in the Java Core API, but I don't think we should gratuitously conflict
with it. I know this error message will be confusing to less experienced
Java programmers.

The name I'd suggest would be "ParserCallback" but there may well be a
better name. Personally, though I really like the idea of getting the
notion of a Callback into a class name. I find callback interfaces to be
one of the trickier notions to get across to my students, at least until
they've finally had the "Aha!" experience with one when they finally
understand what's going on. After that, it's simple. I think it might
help them to get there a little quicker if we put the word "Callback" in
the class name so they knew there was something a little funny about
this interface.

|               Java I/O (O'Reilly & Associates, 1999)               |
|            http://metalab.unc.edu/javafaq/books/javaio/            |
|   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=1565924851/cafeaulaitA/   |