   Re: A certain difficulty

  • From: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
  • To: "xml-dev@xml.org" <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 12:34:01 -0500

Rick JELLIFFE wrote:

>     * The  "Formal Grammar" productions are not complete.  The allowed
> attributes rdf:value is not specified anywhere: actually, it is mentioned in
> the RDF Schema spec, but that only give a references to s.2.3 in the RDF spec
> which just points to an example.

rdf:value is just like any other property, and is handled as such.

>     * The RDF spec seems to treat attributes and elements interchangeably:
> sometimes we get rdf:type attribute, sometimes we get rdf:type element. The
> pupported "complete BNF for RDF" only gives the attribute form.

Not so.

> This slackness comes from not using a DTDs or any other schema framework which
> would have allowed their formal specs to have been tested by a generic tool.

DTDs aren't general enough to handle RDF, with its ability to include arbitrary
child elements and arbitrary attributes, especially the latter.

--

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis vom dies! || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>