   Re: Fwd: Namespaces FAQ

  • From: Arjun Ray <aray@q2.net>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 05:20:17 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Simon St.Laurent wrote:

> From: "Ronald Bourret" <rpbourret@hotmail.com>
> Subject: Namespaces FAQ
>
> http://www.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/DVS1/staff/bourret/xml/NamespacesFAQ.htm
>
> In addition to the usual details, this FAQ discusses subjects such
> as how namespaces are used when combining two documents, how to
> write documents that are both valid and namespace-compliant,

And here was I hoping that I would find a good example of "uniform and
simpler" namespaces compared with "ugly and complicated" ArchForms[1].
Just like Tim's classic example ([2], reworked in [1]), the examples
in Section 8.5 didn't pose much of a challenge at all.

  http://www.nyct.net/~aray/demo/dept/

(The 'session.txt' file is the only one that need be read; the rest of
the directory is just the details of the demonstration.  But if
ugliness is an issue, 'depts.sgm' and 'servers.sgm' are worth looking
at: I'll wait for someone to tell me that the markup in these files is
soooooo "convoluted" compared with the text of Section 8.5...)

I wish people would disabuse themselves of the notion that compound
documents "must" validate against a unitary DTD.  The Namespace
bogosity gets more mileage out of this chimera[3] than any other.

 -sigh-

Arjun

[1] http://xml.org/archives/xml-dev/msg00609.html
[2] http://www.xml.com/pub/1999/01/namespaces.html