   Re: The RDF model *is* part of the problem

  • From: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
  • To: "xml-dev@xml.org" <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 16:31:19 -0500

Arjun Ray wrote:

> So, what is a class apart from the properties that "range" it?  Can a
> class be defined without reference to properties at all (i.e. what
> *else* is it)?

RDFS classes have identity independent of the properties ascribed to their
members.  In ordinary OO work, properties are scoped within their classes;
the "foo" property of my class "bar" has nothing at all to do with the
"foo" property of your class "baz".  In RDFS, though, the two "foo" properties
are the same (assuming they have the same *universal* name, of course,
not merely the same *local* name): they must map a specified domain into
a specified range.

--

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis vom dies! || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>