   Re: XLink - Assert linking relationships among more than two resource s

  • From: THOMAS PASSIN <tpassin@idsonline.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 19:05:00 -0500

After all the recent posts to this thread, I was just looking over what Hien
Luu actually asked (because I had lost track of it):

"I am looking for a way to maintain referential integrity between two
different XML files. "

I think it's been covered pretty well in the thread.  For referential
integrity, you need three things:
1) The ability to refer to another thing - XLINK (and presumably RDF) could
provide this.
2) Some schema-like information that specifies what referential integrity is
required. XLINK does not provide this.
3) Machinery to check the referential integrity and perhaps do something
about it.  XLINK cannot do this.

If people are going to start keeping actual data file xml files, as opposed
to a more conventional database, they are going to start needing to pay
attention to referential integrity.  Sounds like a possible market niche...

Tom Passin