   Re: ANN: SAX 2.0 extension proposals.

  • From: David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net>
  • To: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 09:29:23 -0800

David Megginson wrote:

> David Brownell writes:
>
>  > Doesn't really address the problem.  What you did is basically say
>  > that it can't run in such environments ... that is, that in any sort
>  > of secure component container, there's no standard way for components
>  > to get a SAX parser.
>
> Right.  I doubt that applets will go sniffing around on the client for
> pre-installed SAX parsers anyway; it makes more sense to bundle
> something small like AElfred.

Another way to take what I'm saying:  it'd be nice if this sort
of decision were ONLY a bundling decision.

By saying that the "default" output of a factory is defined to be
unusable in certain cases, you force each component to have some
otherwise unnecessary configuration support, OR (yeech) to hardwire
a parser choice.  The latter is sadly common, and the former can be
rather a lot of work.

- Dave