   Re: The Easy, Academic life

  • From: "Frank Boumphrey" <bckman@ix.netcom.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@xml.org>, "David Megginson" <david@megginson.com>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 03:16:41 -0500

> When I was a graduate student, I received a couple of token grants
> (<US$300) to help me speak at the most prestigious conferences, and as
> an assistant professor in the English department at a
> bottom-of-the-first-rung-but-still-first-rung Canadian university, I
> had airfare and registration (but not accommodation or meals) paid for
> exactly one conference each year.

I must confess that this is why I moved south of the border!

> Of course, things are probably different in the sciences, and
> well-endowed U.S. universities have more money to throw around
> everywhere, but when I was interviewing for English departments at
> some of the big US schools, things didn't seem that much better.

Well I was on the science side, but I must confess that I had to prevent
myself from doing a jaw dropping 'rube' act when I was apologetically
informed that the university would only pay first-class fare if I gave them
a 3 week advanced notice of travel! (OK this was over 20 years ago!)

Frank