   Re: The Easy, Academic life

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • To: <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 08:05:58 +0000

At 20:37 06/03/00 -0500, David Megginson wrote:
>"Frank Boumphrey" <bckman@ix.netcom.com> writes:
>
>> > If you're relying on self-selected people who can afford their own
>> > plane tickets and hotel rooms, it's no great surprise you get a
>> > lot of marketeers pitching products
>>
>> This is all very true.
>>
>> In academic conferences the people speaking are academics, and one
>> of the perks of being an academic is that the University usually
>> picks up the Tag.
>
>Nice try, guys, but I survived 14 years of academia from undergraduate
>to asst. prof. to Writing Centre Director , and that's not the way I
>remember it, especially not from the mid 1980's to the mid 1990's.

It is no different now. If one has a grant then - usually - the travel
money is for the person working on the grant. I - and I suspect other
academics - only go to XML conferences because I am invited by the
organisers or earn my keep/travel by giving tutorials. [Thanks to GCA for
this - many orgs don't provide this.] This is one reason why XML has so few
academics - probably < 10.