   Re: The Easy, Academic life

  • From: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: 07 Mar 2000 09:09:03 -0500

Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk> writes:

> It is no different now. If one has a grant then - usually - the travel
> money is for the person working on the grant. I - and I suspect other
> academics - only go to XML conferences because I am invited by the
> organisers or earn my keep/travel by giving tutorials. [Thanks to GCA for
> this - many orgs don't provide this.] This is one reason why XML has so few
> academics - probably < 10.

It depends on where you draw the line.  I typically receive 2-5
messages a week from students working with SAX, often in Asia or
Europe.  Of course, they don't usually identify themselves as
students, but I can tell by the way the questions are phrased (i.e. as
abstract problems) and by the fact that I will get the same question
from two or three addresses in the same domain within a few days.  The
SAX vs. DOM problem seems especially popular.

I don't know what that promises for the future.

All the best,

David

           http://www.megginson.com/