   Use TEI (was Re: Gutenberg Project <longish>)

  • From: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: 07 Mar 2000 09:14:59 -0500

"Frank Boumphrey" <bckman@ix.netcom.com> writes:

> We are now ready to start developing a set of formal DTD's for Gutenberg and
> other e-texts.

I don't think we need yet another vocabulary for literary texts.

I would highly recommend either (a) starting with TEI or TEI-lite and
removing stuff, or (b) starting with XHTML and adding stuff.  The Text
Encoding Initiativen, in particular, has spent a lot of time working
out the kinds of problems you'll be facing (including encoding drama
and verse of all descriptions), and several e-text archives, including
the Oxford Text Archive, already use TEI.  Alternatively, XHTML is
well known, and you could add markup from a Gutenberg namespace (or
even from a TEI Namespace).

DocBook is not really suitable for working with literature, though it
is (obviously) fantastic for technical documentation.

> The aim is to develop DTD's be suitable for:
>       Books
>       Poetry
>       Plays
>       Saga's
>       Diaries
>       Compendiums
>       Letters
>       Mixed content
>       *Atlases
>       *Encyclopedias
>       Dictionaries
>       Historic Documents
>       *Scientific Documents
>       *Parallel Translations
>       Other
>
>       *These may be too ambitious for our initial DTD's,
>        but we should at least have a look at them.

The TEI even has support for parallel translations (really!).

All the best,

David

           http://www.megginson.com/