   Re: Gutenberg Project <longish>

  • From: "Sebastian Rahtz" <sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 19:56:07 +0000 (GMT)

Frank Boumphrey writes:

 > Writing a new DTD is (should be) very little different from any other
 > research activity.  There is always the temptation to follow established
 > guidelines, but such a process will only propagate any faults in the
 > existing corpus of work. (If any exist). Researchers should be familiar with
 > previous work, but should not let that work inform the detail of their new
 > efforts.

What is the first thing we get a research student to do?  We tell them
to do a literature search, and prove that their proposed subject is
indeed new, and important. If you find the subject is already covered,
you find a new research project

 > To take an innovative approach it is necessary to take a fresh look at the
 > base material.

yes. but where is the justification for an "innovative approach"? what
is _innovative_ about Gutenberg?

 >   1.  Write a set of requirements for a DTD
 >   2.  Investigate possible component sets for the material in question.
 >   3.  Model a provisional DTD
 >   4.  Compare the provisional DTD with established DTD's
 >   5.  As far as possible reconcile the new DTD with the established DTD's

I think you forgot

   1 (a). If these requirements exactly match the description of an
          existing DTD, use it....

Sebastian