   Re: Clarification (was Re: Gutenberg Project <longish>)

  • From: "Frank Boumphrey" <bckman@ix.netcom.com>
  • To: "Stephen T. Mohr" <smohr@voicenet.com>, "xml-dev" <xml-dev@XML.ORG>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 18:30:35 -0500

Stephen T. Mohr wrote:

>If the GP people will post their DTDs, people familiar with TEI can try
> to write XSLT stylesheets,

A set of provisional DTD's can be obtained by going to
www.hwg.org/opcenter/gutenberg/xmlfiles
This will give you a directory view which will allow you to down load the
DTD's.

Please note that no merit is claimed for these DTD's. They were developed on
a 'fast track' (read slam together some elements from DocBook and some
components from the Chicago manual of style, Elements of Typograpic Style,
and other sources) to get our volunteers marking up books when it became
obvious there was no suitable DTD, apart from XHTML, available for them to
use.

We are just starting to develop a more formal DTD, a process which will
probably take about 6-9 months. One of our requirements is that the DTD be
transformable. we are in the process of gathering requirements right now,
and would like to hear from any one interested.

> Books will be marked up in a variety of formats.  Users will need them in
> other formats based on their use cases.

This is very true. And I for one think it is a good thing if several
different DTD options are available. I believe it adds richness to our
efforts.

Right now, efforts like GP are less
> like a library than a warehouse of books.
a library
A library needs researchers,
> librarians, guides, etc.  I envision libraries offering translation and
> search services that may require transformation.  There is no substitute
for
> empirical evidence.

I couldn't agree more with this sentiment. However to develop a library one
must start with some books:>)

Right down here where I know that only the truly interested will read, I
would just like to say that as a proof of concept I am writing a
paramaterized version of the TEIxlite.dtd, I am then going to expand the tag
names to more intuitive forms, and then I am going to document it! (TEI
seems to be very light on suitable documentation for tyro's!!)

I will then see if we can't get some of our volunteers to use it.

Frank