   Re: XML over HTTP: SOAP and ...?

  • From: "Dave Winer" <dave@userland.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 04:13:35 -0800

Title: RE: XML over HTTP: SOAP and ...?
Don Box said: "Also, please be aware that you are comparing a spec that was written by multiple engineers in "spec-speak" to a web page written by one web-journalist/entrepreneur. I'd be curious to see what actual features of SOAP you find redundant or superflous. Additionally, I'd love to know if you see the limitations of XML-RPC, or did Dave's anti-MS posting on the SOAP list convert you to XML-RPC simply on principle?"

Here's the full text of my "anti-MS posting on the SOAP list" (it was cross-posted on the XML-RPC list):

If I may characterize my own message, I'd say it's pro-Microsoft. It says that MS got it before the other gorillas. And that they're good at backward compatibility, and that they're fierce competitors. OTOH, they may have a limited playbook at MS. They did so well at winning the browser wars, why not try it again?

Anyway, we seem to be emerging from a period of FUD, thankfully.There are some differences of opinion. MS has been reluctant to Embrace and Extend. This was puzzling to me. I talked to a former MS exec and he opened my eyes to another way of parsing the events. I end it by saying "Perhaps I have been naive. I'm amazed how dense I can be!"

So if anything it's an anti-Dave message! ;->

Dave

PS: Don showed that SOAP can work with XML-RPC. Bravo! Why are we fighting?? Hello. Peace on earth, goodwill toward men.