   Re: Gutenberg Project <longish>

  • From: "Liam R. E. Quin" <liamquin@interlog.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 22:12:43 -0500 (EST)

I think that if you are starting with texts from Project Gutenberg,
the DTD isn't too important.  Do read the TEI DTD and use whatever
you can from it, but remember also that the PG texts are far from
scholarly in the first place.  Michael Hart has checked provenance
only so far as is necessary to ensure copyright status.  The texts
there are not always the "most familiar" versions[1], and markup such
as italics or other emphasis is either lost or erndered as ALL CAPS.

If you use the same structures as the TEI where possible, but
names that seem clearer for what you're doing, for example, an
automatic translation would be possible.

This is actually a project very dear to me -- I had wanted so badly
to set up an archive of marked-up texts (then in SGML) when I
worked at SoftQuad, but the world wasn't ready for it.  The texts
at the Oxford Text Archive were not freely redistributable, and there
were few other sources at that time.

Lee

--
Liam Quin, Open Source / SGML / XML / Unix / Perl consultant, Toronto
http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/ Ankh on irc.sorcery.net