   Re: Use TEI (was Re: Gutenberg Project <longish>)

  • From: Elaine Brennan <elaine.brennan@worldnet.att.net>
  • To: "Sebastian Rahtz" <sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>, david@megginson.com
  • Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 21:23:01 -0700

At 07:52 PM 3/7/00 (+0000), Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

>David Megginson writes:
>  > I would highly recommend either (a) starting with TEI or TEI-lite and
>  > removing stuff
>
>Rememembering that the TEI offers tools (the pizza chef) for
>formalizing the cutting-down, extending or modifying of TEI. If one of
>the arguments is "the typical tagger does not want all this rubbish
>for when they are marking up Mansfield Park", then make them
>special-purpose tiny-TEI authoring DTDs. It's ever so easy.

It's probably more helpful to point folks to the pizza chef than just to
taunt them with knowledge that such a thing exists
;-:>:  http://www.hcu.ox.ac.uk/TEI/newpizza.html and to describe it as a
tool that allows you to select one or more base tagsets from the TEI along
with one or more additional tagsets (or "toppings") along with appropriate
character entity sets. You then have the opportunity to include, exclude,
or modify any elements that are part of the tagsets you've chosen to use.

I agree with David and Sebastian that it seems a little silly to start
re-inventing the wheel here, particularly when you can so easily re-work
the expansive TEI interchange-focused models to create more limited
authoring-focused DTDs that will be more congenial to initial markup of the
Gutenberg texts.

--ELaine