   Re: SAX2: marrying SAX and DOM

  • From: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: 08 Mar 2000 14:38:49 -0500

Ken MacLeod <ken@bitsko.slc.ut.us> writes:

> The Perl SAX binding has used what I believe to be a very powerful
> technique that I'd like to propose for SAX 2.0:
>
>     Event handlers should be passed a DOM node instead of positional
>     parameters.

Yes, we've considered this a few times, but (a) it creates a
dependency on the DOM interfaces that's not always desirable (and
would lock us in to the DOM's own upgrade schedule), and (b) it adds
yet another level of indirection, and (c) it's pretty late in the game
to start messing with basic structure now.

That's not to say that an approach like that wouldn't make a *lot* of
sense for a higher-level library.  At XTech last week, Paul Prescod
demonstrated the same approach in his Python-based EasySAX.  I think
it's a great idea, and I'd encourage others to write similar
libraries.

All the best,

David

           http://www.megginson.com/