   Re: Questions on XML syntax and conformance issues

  • From: Morus Walter <morus.walter@gmx.de>
  • To: Takuki Kamiya <kamiya@rp.open.cs.fujitsu.co.jp>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 21:55:41 +0100 (CET)

On 08-Mar-00 Takuki Kamiya wrote:

>> Actually this makes much more sense, than the result of literally following
>> the spec.
> But what it says must be accepted as what it means when we are dealing with
> conformance tests; I mean the tests are not to be conformant otherwise.

sure.
But it is allowed to criticize the spec, which is, what I intended by my last
sentence.

> The XML 1.0 Specification Errata made it unambiguous how character references
> get normalized in contrast to how whitespace characters (not a space) do.
>
> See http://www.w3.org/XML/xml-19980210-errata#E61

thanks for that hint.

>> WS in empty elements:
>> If an element is declared empty and denoted by a start and an end tag,
>> should it be allowed to have whitespace between the tags?
>> I don't think so. The spec says, that that the end tag must follow the
>> start tag immediately.
>> However I find samples where this happens.
>
> Which test cases are you talking about here?

Sorry. My fault.
This was not about the test suite any longer.
I just found some xml texts having this, when I tested my parser. And
then I started to wonder, whether my unterstanding of spec at this point is
right or not.

Thanks for your and the others answers,
greetings
        Morus