   Re: Questions on XML syntax and conformance issues

  • From: David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net>
  • To: morus.walter@gmx.de
  • Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 13:03:29 -0800

[ crossposting to the OASIS XML conformance WG, which should
  be seeing and dealing with such issues ]

Takuki Kamiya wrote:

> Morus Walter <morus.walter@gmx.de> wrote:
> >
> > The test suite says test 'valid-sa-094' (from James Clarks test cases) to be
> > not wellformed.
> > .... Hence I would not regard this
> > as an entity reference. Any comments on that?
>
> I agree.

I think that's widely believed, and I know that OASIS has this on a list
of things to resolve.  I don't know when it'll be done though.

Note that in section 2.8, after the [29] markupdecl production and right
before the "PEs-in-internal-subset" WFC that's relevant there, the spec
is quite explicit:

	... individual nonterminals describe the declarations
	<em>after</em> all the parameter entities have been included.

That conflicts with section 4.4 saying that PE handling is really a
boatload of special cases, including the one being used to claim this
test case isn't malformed.   Seems like maybe W3C should change that
first (and most formative -- since it's the only one with a simple
model behind it!) description of PE processing.

> > Attribute normalization: ...
>
> But what it says must be accepted as what it means when we are dealing with
> conformance tests; I mean the tests are not to be conformant otherwise.

That's the ideal.  However, earlier discussions on this topic turned
up quite a number of internal inconsistencies in the XML 1.0 spec in
this area.  (See my post, appended.)  The issue is related to the one
above:  entity processing for attributes is fuzzy.

> See http://www.w3.org/XML/xml-19980210-errata#E61
>
> Therefore I believe that now test case sa02 needs to be corrected.

I glanced at that a while back, and think that maybe _one_ of those
inconsistencies I noted has now been addressed.  Maybe.  Until that
family of issues is fully addressed, I think it'd be best to think
of that issue as open ... lest some fixes cause later unfixes.

(Also, for the record, if one takes XP 0.5 as the best effort "by W3C"
to support XML conformance, I seem to recall that it was used to create
that particular output test.)

- Dave

APPENDED:  my xml-dev post, seemingly not archived, identifying
several seeming internal inconsistencies in the XML spec.