   Re: Questions on XML syntax and conformance issues

  • From: crism@exemplary.net (Christopher R. Maden)
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 23:56:29 -0800

[Takuki Kamiya]
>Morus Walter <morus.walter@gmx.de> wrote:
>> The test suite says test 'valid-sa-094' (from James Clarks test cases) to be
>> not wellformed.

The test is correct.

>> <!DOCTYPE doc [
>> <!ENTITY % e "foo">
>> <!ELEMENT doc (#PCDATA)>
>> <!ATTLIST doc a1 CDATA "%e;">

Parameter entities in an internal subset must expand to an integral number
of declarations.  This does not; it is in error.

>> ]>
>> <doc></doc>
>> The problem they see, seems to be the "%e;" in the attribute value.
>> If this is a PEreference, it would be forbidden in the internal subset.
>> However I don't think it is one. Attribute values are defined as
>>   [10]
>>           AttValue
>>                    ::=
>>                       '"' ([^<&"] | Reference)*
>>                       '"'
>>                       |  "'" ([^<&']
>>                       | Reference)* "'"
>> so '%' does not have a special meaning here. Hence I would not regard this
>> as an entity reference. Any comments on that?

It's not an attribute value, not yet.  The spec clearly states that
productions describing DTDs are to be considered after expansion of
parameter entities.

>Test case "valid-sa-094" is one of those we found to be erraneous when we
>conducted conformance tests.

I believe that that finding is in error.

-Chris

--
Christopher R. Maden, Solutions Architect
Yomu (formerly Exemplary Technologies)