   Re: Questions on XML syntax and conformance issues

  • From: "Takuki Kamiya" <kamiya@rp.open.cs.fujitsu.co.jp>
  • To: <xml-dev@xml.org>, "Christopher R. Maden" <crism@exemplary.net>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 18:58:21 +0900

Christopher R. Maden <crism@exemplary.net> wrote:

> [Takuki Kamiya]
> >Morus Walter <morus.walter@gmx.de> wrote:
> >> The test suite says test 'valid-sa-094' (from James Clarks test cases) to be
> >> not wellformed.
>
> The test is correct.
>
> >> <!DOCTYPE doc [
> >> <!ENTITY % e "foo">
> >> <!ELEMENT doc (#PCDATA)>
> >> <!ATTLIST doc a1 CDATA "%e;">
>
> Parameter entities in an internal subset must expand to an integral number
> of declarations.  This does not; it is in error.

Yes, but only if it is recognized as a parameter entity.

> >> ]>
> >> <doc></doc>
> >> The problem they see, seems to be the "%e;" in the attribute value.
> >> If this is a PEreference, it would be forbidden in the internal subset.
> >> However I don't think it is one. Attribute values are defined as
> >>   [10]
> >>           AttValue
> >>                    ::=
> >>                       '"' ([^<&"] | Reference)*
> >>                       '"'
> >>                       |  "'" ([^<&']
> >>                       | Reference)* "'"
> >> so '%' does not have a special meaning here. Hence I would not regard this
> >> as an entity reference. Any comments on that?
>
> It's not an attribute value, not yet.  The spec clearly states that
> productions describing DTDs are to be considered after expansion of
> parameter entities.

The production for attribute value merely denotes the formulation of tokens
*after* the expansion of parameter entities *if any are recognized*.

Even before the expansion of parameter entities, a parser knows it is dealing
with an attribute value. Therefore I believe a parser is legitimately able to
process it as literal text, not as parameter entities as per section 4.4.

= Takuki Kamiya  Phone: (045)476-4586 Fax: (045)476-4749   =
= FUJITSU LIMITED (COINS:7128-4217 NIFTY:HHA01731)         =